Flowers used in pookalam making

Let's take a look at some of the flowers used in pookalam making.

Before getting into the topic,let me explain few points to consider while selecting flowers for pookalam making.I suggest not to use any kind of vegetable for pookalam because vegetables are not preferred as a traditional method.The tradition is to make awesome pookalam with available flowers which can either be plucked by hand or can bought from market.

1 Thumba poovu 

It's the traditional flower mostly preferred on first day of onam.It is white in color.Usually thumba is available in fields or outside home.People from kerala prefer this flower bacause of it's versatility.It's a small flower therefore require large amounts to make pookalam.Collecting this flower from field takes time.Therefore wake up early on first day of onam for collecting this flower from fields.

2 Marigold

These are available in wide variety of colors.I usually buy a bulk of these flowers from shop.I usually order it a week before putting pookalam.This is the main flower I suggest to be used in a colorful pookalam.The colors available are yellow,orange,white,etc.I purchase a lot of yellow and orange colored flowers because it looks attractive.

3.Rose

Rose petals are really attractive.I suggest to use rose petals to fill the inner surface of the pookalam and make it more special.Rose is expensive but attractive.If you do not want to spend much I recommend using other flowers which are attractive and eye catching like marigold.

4.Lotus

Lotus is a flower mostly suggested to be put at the middle of all pookalam.They are not much expensive.It can be plucked from ponds and rivers.Mostly available in pink color.If you are using lotus for making pookalam then you will definetly love it.After preparation for my first pookalam I went in search of lotus in ponds.I got one and placed at the middle of the pookalam.

5.Flame of the woods or thetti

These are available in a wide variety of colors.I mostly see it in pink and orange colors.It is available in most of the houses in kerala.I went in search of it and founded from my neighbours house.He helped me to pluck the flowers I got it and placed in the mid portion of pookalam.Due to small size of petal I suggest to collect more flowers from surrounding before putting a flower carpet.

6.Hibiscus

It was available at my home in Kerala for putting flower carpet,I definetly recommend using this flower.I suggest to cut the middle portion before seperating the petals to it a symmetrical appearance.If you are in kerala you will find red colored flower carpet in every locality.

7.Tulsi

Tulsi is known for it's herbal qualities.I found tulsi from my house itself.Tulsi is also used as a medicine making.Green color tulsi is really attractive and special.It the tradition of Keralites to make it to use as pookalam flower.It smells good and I definetly suggest to use it for making pookalam.

8.Jasmine

Jasmine smells good I suggest it to make the pookalam because of it's unique property of smell and color.When I first bought jasmine the room filled with awesome smell that is really nice.In Kerala women wear jasmine on their hair many traditional festivals and gatherings.

9.Nerium or Arali

I used it to fill the outer pattern of my pookalam.It is a traditional flower which is used in temples as well.I used this flower to create a pinkish appearance of the pookalam.

That's some of the flowers used in making pookalam.Wear traditional dresses like saree for woman.Mundu for men and also make sure to find a perfect level floor for putting pookalam.If you are planning to buy flowers from shop make sure to order it a week before so that we can confirm it's availability.